Contribute to Write It Sideways
Want to write an article for Write It Sideways?
***Please note that I do not respond to guest post requests from writers promoting websites for which they are affiliates.
- Check the Content and Style Guide below to make sure your article is consistent with this site.
- Send your article to me via email, attaching the article as a plain text attachment, formatted as HTML. Please also paste your article into the email itself to allow me to review it quickly.
- Unsure about step 2? Follow the How to Submit Guest Posts in HTML Using WordPress tutorial.
Content and Style Guide
I’m committed to running original, well-crafted, engaging articles on fiction, non-fiction, publishing, productivity, editing, and language.
While I appreciate the time and effort that goes into every submission, your chances of acceptance greatly improve if you keep the following in mind:
- Follow the guidelines posted below
- Review recent posts so you don’t duplicate a topic
- Give your article an attention-grabbing headline
- Submit an article that hasn’t been previously published elsewhere (including your personal blog)
- Refrain from using affiliate links in your article and byline
Please note, I am unable to accept an article until I have read it in full. Please feel free to send a pitch first, but I cannot guarantee acceptance until I have seen the completed article.
- Introduction: Please introduce posts with at least a couple of paragraphs to hook readers’ attention.
- Readability: Break up long paragraphs into shorter chunks, and use subheadings and lists where appropriate.
- Headers: Please use the style Heading 2 (in the WordPress editor) for all subheadings.
- Lists: Bullets and automatically numbered lists are good, but you are free to manually number lists if needed.
- Word Count: Articles should be a minimum of 500 words, with a preferred length of 500-1000 words.
- Spacing: Please use only one space after punctuation.
- Images: You are free to suggest an image for your post by sending me a link, but I may or may not use your selection. Licensing is a key consideration for images.
- Titles: Give your contribution an eye-catching and relevant title.
- Byline: Please send a short byline describing who you are and linking to your website, RSS feed, Twitter and/or book. This will appear at the end of your article. No affiliate links, please.
- Editing: If accepted, I’ll edit your submission for spelling, grammar, and concise language. I may also change your headline and formatting if necessary.
- Plain Text Only: Please do not send your article in Microsoft Word, or OpenOffice formatted attachments. Due to the excessive time (and frustration!) required to re-format these documents into WordPress, I am not able to accept documents in formats other than plain text.
- For Extra Bonus Points: While not essential, if you send a plain text file with the HTML of your WordPress article, I would be grateful. This makes previewing the post online so much easier Please see this tutorial: How to Submit Guest Posts in HTML Using WordPress.
Remember, if you have any questions at all, please email me using the Contact Page.