Note: Submissions are now closed for this round. I will notify successful candidates by email within the next few days.
We haven’t had a call for anonymous excerpt submissions since August 2010.
I’ve now used all the excerpts I received during the last call, so I’d like to open the doors once again. Send me an excerpt from your novel or short story, and we (the readers of Write It Sideways) will give you feedback on your writing.
Remember, you remain anonymous unless or until you decide to identify yourself in the comment section. It’s completely up to you.
The latest examples of critiques can be seen here:
- To Break a Male Heart (action)
- Vermont House of Pancakes (literary)
- The Hand (fantasy)
This time I’m requesting excerpts from works of any genre.
How to Submit
Submissions open: Thursday, January 27th, 2011 at 12 pm EST
Submissions close: Sunday, January 30th, 2011 at 12 pm EST
- During this submission period, please send any genre.
- Excerpts should be approximately 250 words long (but don’t stop in the middle of a sentence).
- Paste your excerpt into an email and send it to suzannah [at] writeitsideways [dot] com. Please make sure your paragraphs and dialogue are formatted the way you wish them to appear on the blog.
- Include the working title of your novel/short story, and the genre.
- Please only send one excerpt during a submission period. If your excerpt isn’t used, you can send it again during the next call in your genre. If your excerpt is used, please refrain from submitting a new piece for at least 2 months afterward.
- It is recommended you do not send an excerpt of something you intend to submit for publication or a writing contest. More on that here.
- If I decide to post your excerpt for critique, I will let you know via email. If you don’t hear back from me, please assume your excerpt won’t be used this time around. You’re free to send it again next time.
Rules and Guidelines
- Subscribe. Before you submit a piece of writing for critique, please make sure you’re subscribed to Write It Sideways (by either email or RSS), to ensure you don’t miss your writing being posted.
- Respect. The purpose of this feature is to give encouragement and constructive criticism to aspiring writers. That means feedback should be given with a spirit of helping each other. Any rude or disparaging comments will be deleted.
- Give back. Submit your writing only if you’re willing to give back by critiquing others’ work.
- Polish. Please don’t send unpolished work. Peer-critiques are now a regular feature of Write It Sideways, so there’s plenty of opportunity to submit when your writing is ready.
- Keep it clean. I won’t use any submissions that contain offensive material. Keep them PG.
Join the discussion
The Red Angel says
This is such a wonderful opportunity! I won’t be participating this time around, but best of luck to all entrants =)
Maybe next time, then!
Melinda Jones says
Sent mine in! How exciting!